Slopemonkey Ski and Snowboard Forums

Go Back   Slopemonkey Ski and Snowboard Forums > Skiing & Snowboarding > Equipment

Old 03-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
RenegadeRick

Ouch!

Last night at Wilmot, the snow sucked, but I figured I could at least have some fun in the park.

I went to do some rail slides and I got started on a nice easy low slung box. Near the end, something grabbed a hold of my board, but I wasn't sure what. Anyhow, I just went and got back on the lift.

While coming down after getting off the lift, every time I turned on my toeside edge the board got squirrelly and out of control. After falling three times, I unstrapped and took a look at my board.

There was about an 8-inch long gash ripped all the way through the base down to the core. I went and looked at the box and there was a metal spike poking up about 1/8 of an inch through the surface of the slide material and that is what got my board.

So I went and told the liftie about the unsafe feature and walked back to the lodge. When I got to the repair shop there was another kid there who also took a hit from the same feature. His damage wasn't nearly as bad as mine. A little trimming and some p-tex and he will be as good as new. The shop techs weren't sure my board is repairable.

I left it with them, asking them to do their best, and I have started scoping out new rides. Here is a photo of the devastation.

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: A Patriot's Paradise!
RenegadeRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
gnurider1080
knuckledragger

you should've taken it to a shop that can do base welds. they generally hold much better than just filling in the gash with ptex.
gnurider1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
RenegadeRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnurider1080 View Post
you should've taken it to a shop that can do base welds. they generally hold much better than just filling in the gash with ptex.
Their plan of attack was to use epoxy and a press to glue down what they could and then use ptex to repair as necessary. I don't know if they would weld or just drip in the ptex. They have a stone grinder there. I can only assume they have a welding iron, however...

I have never used the shop at this resort before. The only reason I left it there is because I am hoping the resort will comp the repair.

Of course, I had just had the board tuned up and ground at Chestnut (which does have an excellent shop) only 2 rides ago. That is why you can see such nice edges and a sweet structure in the photo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: A Patriot's Paradise!
RenegadeRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
SkaredShtles

There's a good reason to stay off all those damn rails and crap.
SkaredShtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
stoepstyle

Send a message via Skype™ to stoepstyle
Wow that is a huge slice

haha it remids me of early riding this year where at the end of the day it was just simply impossible to make turns because of all the gashes and burrs on my edges
stoepstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
skisrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
There's a good reason to stay off all those damn rails and crap.
ain't that the truth

skisrun is offline   Reply With Quote